Outdoor Strains That Produce a Large Yield: Top 10 Cannabis Strains
As cannabis cultivation continues to gain mainstream acceptance, more and more growers are looking to maximize their yields. But with so many strains available, it can be overwhelming to choose which ones are best for outdoor growing. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the top 10 outdoor cannabis strains that produce impressive yields. Each strain on this list has been carefully selected based on its ability to thrive in outdoor environments and produce large amounts of buds. So, whether you’re a seasoned grower or just starting out, read on to discover the best strains for a bountiful outdoor harvest.
Top 10 Outdoor Cannabis Strains for Large Yields
Are you looking to grow outdoor cannabis with large yields? Look no further! We’ve compiled a list of the top 10 cannabis strains that are known for producing bountiful harvests. From the sweet and fruity Pineapple Express to the classic Purple Haze, these outdoor strains are sure to impress. So, without further ado, let’s dive into our list of potent and high-yielding cannabis strains.
1. Blue Dream
Blue Dream is a sativa-dominant hybrid that is known for its high yields and excellent outdoor growth. This strain has become an extremely popular choice for outdoor growers due to its resilience to pests and diseases, and its ability to produce large, dense buds.
|Strain Name||Blue Dream|
|Genetics||Blueberry x Haze|
|Flowering Time||9-10 weeks|
|Yield||Up to 600g/m2|
|Aroma/Flavor||Sweet, berry, earthy|
|Effects||Uplifting, euphoric, cerebral|
With a flowering time of 9-10 weeks, Blue Dream can produce yields of up to 600g/m2 when grown under the right conditions. It has a THC content ranging from 17-24%, making it a potent strain that can produce uplifting and cerebral effects. The sweet and berry aroma, along with its earthy flavor, make it an enjoyable strain to smoke.
When growing Blue Dream outdoors, it’s important to choose a location that receives plenty of sunlight and has well-draining soil. Starting with quality seeds or clones and using proper soil and nutrients will help ensure a successful outdoor grow. Additionally, monitoring watering and drainage, protecting from pests and diseases, and pruning for maximum yield can all contribute to a successful outdoor grow of Blue Dream.
2. Super Silver Haze
One of the most sought-after outdoor cannabis strains for its large yield and high potency is Super Silver Haze. This sativa-dominant strain is a cross between Skunk, Northern Lights, and Haze, resulting in a complex aroma and flavor profile.
- THC content can reach up to 23%
- Produces a cerebral high with a burst of energy and creativity
- Aroma is a mix of citrus, earthy, and sweet
- Flavor is a blend of spicy and sweet
- Flowering time ranges from 9 to 11 weeks
Super Silver Haze is a relatively easy strain to grow outdoors, but it does require a warm and sunny climate. It thrives in soil that is rich in organic matter and well-draining, with a pH between 6.0 and 7.0.
- Light: Super Silver Haze needs plenty of sunlight, ideally at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day.
- Temperature: This strain prefers warm temperatures between 68-80°F during the day and doesn’t like it colder than 60°F at night.
- Water: Water regularly but don’t overwater. Make sure the soil is well-draining, and avoid watering during the peak heat of the day.
- Nutrients: This strain requires a balanced diet of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, with micronutrients such as magnesium, calcium, and iron.
- Pruning: Trimming the lower branches and leaves can increase airflow and light penetration, which can lead to larger yields.
Super Silver Haze is ready to harvest in late October to early November, but make sure to check the trichomes for the best time to harvest. The buds will be dense and covered in trichomes, giving them a frosty appearance. Proper drying and curing are essential to preserve the potency and flavor of this strain.
Super Silver Haze is a great option for outdoor growers who want high yields and a potent, uplifting high. Just make sure to provide it with the optimal growing conditions and give it time to properly mature before harvest.
3. Purple Haze
Purple Haze is a Sativa dominant strain known for its psychedelic effects and high THC content. It is a popular strain for outdoor growing and generally produces high yields.
Here is a table with further details on the Purple Haze strain:
|Genetics||Haze x Purple Thai|
|Flowering Time||8-10 weeks|
As seen in the table, the genetics of Purple Haze come from a mix of Haze and Purple Thai strains. The strain has a THC content that ranges from 17-20%. The flowering time for Purple Haze is between 8-10 weeks, making it suitable for outdoor growing in the Mediterranean climate. It is known to produce high yields, which is a desirable trait for outdoor growers.
Purple Haze is a popular choice for outdoor growers looking for a high-yielding Sativa dominant strain with psychedelic effects.
4. Girl Scout Cookies
Girl Scout Cookies is a strain that has become incredibly popular in recent years due to its delicious flavor and relaxing effects. This strain is a hybrid of OG Kush and Durban Poison, offering users a balance between the energizing and calming effects of its parent strains.
When it comes to outdoor cultivation, Girl Scout Cookies can produce high yields if grown in the right conditions. Here are some specifications and traits of Girl Scout Cookies that should be taken into consideration by growers:
|Climate||Dry, warm, and temperate climates with plenty of sunlight|
|Difficulty||Moderate – requires some level of experience and skill to grow|
|Plant size||Medium-sized, around 3-4 feet in height in outdoor environments|
|Flowering time||8-9 weeks|
|Yield||Moderate to high, around 18-22 ounces per plant outdoors|
|THC content||Up to 28%|
|Aroma and flavor||Sweet, spicy, and earthy with hints of vanilla|
|Effects||Relaxing, calming, and euphoric with some uplifting qualities|
|Medical uses||Treats anxiety, insomnia, pain, and stress|
Girl Scout Cookies prefers a dry, warm, and temperate climate with plenty of sunlight. This strain can tolerate slightly cooler nighttime temperatures, but it is still important to ensure that the plants do not experience any frost.
In terms of difficulty level, Girl Scout Cookies is considered moderate and requires some level of experience and skill to grow. The plants grow to medium size, reaching around 3-4 feet in height when grown outdoors.
The flowering time for Girl Scout Cookies is 8-9 weeks, and the yield can range from moderate to high – around 18-22 ounces per plant outdoors. The THC content of this strain can be quite high, reaching up to 28%.
In terms of aroma and flavor, Girl Scout Cookies is known for its sweet, spicy, and earthy profile with hints of vanilla. The effects of this strain are primarily relaxing, calming, and euphoric, with some uplifting qualities. Girl Scout Cookies is also known for its medical benefits, particularly in the treatment of anxiety, insomnia, pain, and stress.
Girl Scout Cookies can be an excellent option for growers looking for a strain that produces high yields while offering delicious flavor and relaxing effects. However, proper care and attention should be given to ensure optimal growing conditions for this particular strain.
5. OG Kush
OG Kush is a legendary strain that has been around for a while and is known for producing big, dense buds. Here are some details about why it is considered one of the top outdoor cannabis strains for large yields:
- Potent Effects: OG Kush is known for its potent effects that can provide a deep sense of relaxation, making it a favorite among those seeking stress relief.
- High THC Levels: With THC levels of up to 24%, OG Kush delivers a powerful high that can last for hours.
- Resilience: OG Kush is a hardy strain that can withstand harsh weather conditions, making it ideal for outdoor cultivation.
- Quick Flowering Time: This strain has a relatively short flowering time of 8-9 weeks, which means that you can enjoy your harvest sooner.
- Great Flavors: OG Kush has a unique flavor profile that is earthy and woody with hints of citrus and spice, making it a pleasure to smoke.
If you are looking for a strain that can deliver high yields of potent buds, OG Kush is definitely worth considering. Just be sure to follow the tips for growing outdoor cannabis plants to ensure that your crop thrives and produces the best possible results.
6. Pineapple Express
Pineapple Express is a sativa-dominant strain with a fruity flavor profile and relaxing effects. This strain is known for its potential to produce a large yield, making it a popular choice for outdoor growers. Here are some key details about Pineapple Express:
- Genetics: Pineapple Express is a hybrid strain that is believed to be a cross between Trainwreck and Hawaiian strains.
- Flowering Time: This strain typically has a flowering time of around 9 weeks, and can be harvested in early to mid-October when grown outdoors.
- Yield: Pineapple Express is known for its potential to produce a high yield of dense, resinous buds. Outdoor growers can expect to harvest around 600-700 grams per plant when grown in optimal conditions.
- Effects: This strain is known for its cerebral effects, which can be uplifting and energizing. It may also have some relaxing qualities that make it a good choice for stress relief or anxiety management.
- Flavor Profile: As the name suggests, Pineapple Express has a sweet, tropical flavor with notes of pineapple and other tropical fruits. It also has some earthy undertones that give it a balanced flavor profile.
When growing Pineapple Express outdoors, it is important to choose a location with plenty of sunlight and well-draining soil. This strain may also benefit from the use of organic fertilizers and nutrient supplements to support its growth and development. Additionally, growers should monitor their plants closely for signs of pests or disease, and take steps to protect their crop as needed.
Pineapple Express is a great choice for outdoor growers who are looking for a high-yielding, flavorful strain with relaxing effects. With the right care and attention, this strain has the potential to produce an impressive harvest that is sure to impress.
7. Sour Diesel
Sour Diesel is a hybrid strain that has become increasingly popular for its high THC content and intense cerebral effects. It’s loved for its energetic buzz and uplifting qualities, making it a great choice for daytime use. When it comes to outdoor growing, Sour Diesel is a strain that can produce large yields, provided you take the proper care.
One of the standout features of Sour Diesel is its pungent, diesel-like aroma, which is where its name comes from. The buds are light green with orange hairs and a thick, frosty layer of trichomes. Here’s a table highlighting some key information about Sour Diesel:
|Flowering Time||10-11 weeks|
|Climate||Warm, dry, and temperate|
Sour Diesel performs best in warm, dry, and temperate climates, so it’s important to choose the right location for your outdoor grow. The flowering time for this strain is around 10-11 weeks, so it requires a bit of patience, but the high yield it produces is well worth the wait.
To grow Sour Diesel successfully, you need to start with quality seeds or clones and use proper soil and nutrients. It’s also important to monitor watering and drainage, as over or under-watering can lead to problems. Additionally, you need to protect your plants from pests and diseases and prune them for maximum yield.
Sour Diesel is a fantastic choice for outdoor growers who want a high-yielding, cerebral strain with a pungent aroma and energizing effects. With the right care and attention, you can get some impressive results from growing this hybrid strain.
8. Mango Kush
Mango Kush is an indica-dominant hybrid strain that is known for its distinct mango aroma and flavor. It is a crossbreed of two popular strains, Mango and Hindu Kush. This strain is well-suited for outdoor cultivation and can produce a large yield with the right growing conditions.
Mango Kush buds have a medium to large size and are densely packed with trichomes that give them a frosty appearance. The leaves are a dark green color with orange pistils.
Aroma and Flavor:
As the name suggests, Mango Kush has a strong aroma and flavor of ripe mangoes, with hints of tropical fruit and earthy spice.
This strain has a balanced high that starts with a cerebral buzz before transitioning into a relaxing body high. It is known to induce feelings of euphoria, creativity, and relaxation.
Mango Kush is often used to treat symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression. It can also be effective for managing chronic pain, muscle spasms, and insomnia.
Mango Kush is well-suited for outdoor growing and can thrive in warm, dry climates. It has a flowering time of around 8-9 weeks and can produce a yield of up to 600 grams per plant. It is important to monitor the plant for pests and diseases, and to use proper nutrients and soil for optimal growth.
|Appearance||Aroma and Flavor||Effects||Medical Benefits||Growing Information|
|Mango Kush buds have a medium to large size and are densely packed with trichomes that give them a frosty appearance. The leaves are a dark green color with orange pistils.||As the name suggests, Mango Kush has a strong aroma and flavor of ripe mangoes, with hints of tropical fruit and earthy spice.||This strain has a balanced high that starts with a cerebral buzz before transitioning into a relaxing body high. It is known to induce feelings of euphoria, creativity, and relaxation.||Mango Kush is often used to treat symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression. It can also be effective for managing chronic pain, muscle spasms, and insomnia.||Mango Kush is well-suited for outdoor growing and can thrive in warm, dry climates. It has a flowering time of around 8-9 weeks and can produce a yield of up to 600 grams per plant. It is important to monitor the plant for pests and diseases, and to use proper nutrients and soil for optimal growth.|
9. Green Crack
One of the most popular outdoor cannabis strains for large yields is Green Crack. This strain is known for its high THC content, uplifting effects, and fruity aroma. Here are some key details about this strain:
- Genetics: Green Crack is a Sativa-dominant hybrid that was originally bred by inbreeding Skunk #1. It has a genetic makeup of 65% Sativa and 35% Indica.
- Growth: Green Crack is a relatively easy strain to grow and is tolerant of many outdoor conditions. It typically reaches a height of around 3-4 feet tall and produces a large yield of dense, colorful buds.
- Flowering Time: This strain has a relatively short flowering time of about 7-9 weeks, making it a great option for growers who want a fast turnaround.
- Yield: Green Crack is known for producing large yields, often reaching up to 600 grams per plant when grown outdoors in optimal conditions.
- Effects: This strain is known for its energizing and uplifting effects, making it a great choice for daytime use. It is also said to induce feelings of creativity and focus, making it popular among artists and professionals alike.
- Aroma and Flavor: Green Crack has a distinct fruity aroma, with notes of mango and pineapple. Its flavor profile is also fruity, with hints of citrus and tropical fruits.
Green Crack is a great option for outdoor growers who want a high-yielding, fast-maturing strain with uplifting effects and a delicious fruity flavor.
10. Amnesia Haze
One of the popular outdoor cannabis strains known for its high yield is Amnesia Haze. This strain is a Sativa dominant hybrid, which produces a potent and long-lasting high. Its THC content ranges from 20% to 25%, making it one of the most potent strains available.
Here are some of the characteristics of Amnesia Haze that make it a great choice for outdoor growing:
- Height: This strain can grow quite tall, up to 200cm, which means it needs plenty of space to flourish.
- Climate: Amnesia Haze prefers warm, sunny climates with low humidity. It can handle some cooler temperatures, but frost can damage the plant.
- Yield: This strain is known for its high yields, producing up to 700g per plant when grown outdoors.
- Flowering Time: Amnesia Haze has a lengthy flowering time of around 12 weeks, but the wait is worth it for the high yield and potent high it produces.
- Aroma and Flavor: This strain has a spicy, earthy aroma, with hints of lemon and citrus. The flavor is a mix of spicy, earthy notes with a sour aftertaste.
Growing Amnesia Haze outdoors requires some attention to detail. Here are some tips for getting the most out of this strain:
- Pruning: With its tall stature, Amnesia Haze benefits from regular pruning to encourage lateral growth and maximize the yield.
- Nutrients: This strain needs plenty of nutrients to support its growth and high yield. Be sure to use a fertilizer that is high in nitrogen during the vegetative phase and potassium during flowering.
- Watering: Amnesia Haze needs regular watering to keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. Be sure to provide good drainage to avoid root rot.
- Pests and Diseases: This strain is vulnerable to pests and diseases like spider mites, powdery mildew, and bud rot. Regular inspection and treatment can keep these issues at bay.
Amnesia Haze is a great choice for outdoor growers who want a high-yielding, potent strain with a spicy, earthy flavor profile. With some attention to detail, it can produce a bountiful harvest of up to 700g per plant.
Tips for Growing Large Yield Outdoor Cannabis Plants
If you’re planning to grow outdoor cannabis plants and aiming to harvest large yields, then there are several factors that you need to consider. The process of growing cannabis outdoors can be quite challenging, but with the right tips, you can achieve great results. In the following sections, we will highlight 7 essential tips that will help you produce high-quality buds with large yields. These tips range from choosing the right location to pruning for maximum yield and ensuring proper watering, soil, and nutrient management. So, buckle up and let’s dive into the world of growing outdoor cannabis with the aim to achieve large yields.
1. Choose the Right Location
When it comes to outdoor cannabis cultivation, one of the most crucial factors that can determine the yield of your plants is choosing the right location. The ideal location for cannabis cultivation should have adequate sunlight, water, and nutrient-rich soil. Here are some important factors to consider when choosing the right location:
|Factors to Consider||Description|
|Light Exposure||The plants should receive at least six hours of direct sunlight every day. Try to find a spot with south-facing exposure to maximize sunlight exposure.|
|Soil Quality||The soil should be fertile and well-draining. You can test the soil by checking the pH level and nutrient composition. If the soil is lacking in nutrients, you can mix compost or other organic materials to improve soil quality.|
|Air Circulation||Good air circulation can prevent mold and mildew growth on your plants. Choose a location that is not too crowded with vegetation or buildings that may restrict airflow.|
|Water Supply||The location should have easy access to a water supply, either from a natural source or from a hose or irrigation system. Make sure there is proper drainage to prevent waterlogging or soil erosion.|
|Security and Privacy||Choose a location that is secure and private to prevent theft or vandalism of your plants. Consider planting near a fence, wall, or other barrier that can provide additional protection.|
Choosing the right location is the foundation of a successful outdoor cannabis cultivation. By ensuring that your plants have access to abundant sunlight, nutrient-rich soil, and proper airflow and water supply, you can maximize the yield of your cannabis plants while minimizing the risk of plant diseases or other issues.
2. Start with Quality Seeds or Clones
One of the most important factors in producing large yields of outdoor cannabis is starting with quality seeds or clones. This will ensure that your plants have a strong genetic foundation, leading to healthy and vigorous growth.
When choosing seeds, look for reputable seed banks that offer a wide variety of strains. Consider factors such as the strain’s yield potential, flowering time, and resistance to pests and diseases. For outdoor growing, it’s also important to choose strains that are well-suited to your specific climate and growing conditions.
Alternatively, you can start with clones, which are cuttings taken from a healthy, mature cannabis plant. Clones offer the advantage of consistency, as they are essentially identical to the original plant. However, they can be more challenging to obtain than seeds.
Regardless of whether you choose seeds or clones, it’s essential to source them from a reliable and trustworthy provider. Look for providers that have a reputation for quality and consistency, and make sure that your seeds or clones are fresh and healthy.
Once you have your seeds or clones, it’s important to give them the best possible start. This means germinating your seeds properly or rooting your clones in a suitable medium. You can use a variety of methods for germination and rooting, such as soaking your seeds in water or using rooting hormone for your clones.
Starting with quality seeds or clones is a crucial step in producing large yields of outdoor cannabis. Take the time to choose reputable providers and give your plants the best possible start, and you’ll be well on your way to a successful harvest.
|Factors to consider when choosing seeds or clones|
|Reputable seed banks|
|Resistance to pests and diseases|
|Suitability to your specific climate and growing conditions|
|Reliable and trustworthy providers|
|Proper germination or rooting methods|
3. Use Proper Soil and Nutrients
When it comes to growing cannabis outdoors, it is essential to use the proper soil and nutrients to ensure that your plants are healthy and have the best opportunity to produce large yields. Here are some tips on selecting and using soil and nutrients:
1. Choose the Right Soil: The quality of the soil is one of the most critical factors in growing healthy cannabis plants. It is worth investing in a high-quality organic soil that is rich in nutrients and has good drainage. Avoid using soil that contains pesticides or herbicides, as these chemicals can harm your plants.
2. Add Nutrients: While good soil can provide some of the necessary nutrients, plants often need extra support from added nutrients. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are the three primary macronutrients that cannabis plants require, and they can be found in many fertilizer products designed specifically for cannabis cultivation.
3. Compost: Composting is an excellent way to add nutrients to your soil and promote the growth of beneficial microorganisms. Composting also helps to improve soil texture and water retention.
4. Mulch: Mulching is another way to increase nutrient retention and water conservation in your soil. A layer of organic material such as leaves or straw can help to prevent soil erosion and maintain soil temperature.
5. Test Your Soil: It is essential to test your soil regularly to ensure that it has the correct pH levels and nutrient balance for your plants. You can purchase soil testing kits or send samples to a lab for analysis.
6. Use Nutrients Judiciously: While nutrients are essential for plant growth, it is crucial to use them carefully and follow the recommended dosage instructions. Overuse of nutrients can be harmful to your plants and can also contribute to water pollution.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your cannabis plants have the best possible environment for healthy growth and high yields.
4. Monitor Watering and Drainage
One of the most critical factors to consider when growing outdoor cannabis plants is proper watering and drainage. Both over and under-watering can negatively impact the plant’s health and yield. It is essential to monitor the water and drainage to ensure the plants are receiving the right amount of water.
Watering: Outdoor cannabis plants generally require 1-2 inches of water per week. However, the amount of water required can vary depending on the location and weather conditions. It is crucial to water the plants deeply and infrequently to prevent waterlogging and promote deep root growth.
Drainage: Proper drainage is crucial to prevent waterlogging and root rot. It is necessary to modify the soil to ensure that it has excellent drainage. Adding perlite, vermiculite, sand, or gravel can help improve soil drainage. Alternatively, planting the cannabis plants in raised beds can improve drainage by preventing water from accumulating at the plant’s roots.
Monitoring: Monitoring the soil moisture level is essential for ensuring the right amount of water is being given to the plants. Over-watering can lead to nutrient deficiencies, while under-watering can lead to stunted growth and yield loss. It is recommended to water the plants early in the morning or late in the evening to prevent water from evaporating too quickly.
To help ensure proper watering and drainage, consider using the following table as a guide:
|Soil Moisture Level||Watering Frequency||Signs of Over/Under-watering|
|Very dry soil that crumbles when touched||Water deeply and slowly until water runs out the drainage holes.||Over-watering: Yellowing leaves, wilting, and soil with standing water. Under-watering: Dry, crunchy leaves and slow growth.|
|Damp soil that forms a ball when squeezed.||Reduce watering frequency and increase the amount of water given to the plants.||Over-watering: Soil has a strong odor, and leaves become droopy. Under-watering: Stunted growth and unhealthy-looking leaves.|
|Saturated soil that feels wet and sticky.||Stop watering and let the soil dry out.||Over-watering: Root rot, yellowing leaves, and wilting. Under-watering: N/A|
By following these guidelines and monitoring the watering and drainage of your outdoor cannabis plants, you can help ensure maximum yield and healthy plants.
5. Protect Your Plants from Pests and Diseases
It’s crucial to protect your outdoor cannabis plants from pests and diseases to ensure a successful and productive harvest. Pests and diseases can stunt growth and potentially kill your plants. Here are some tips to keep your garden pest and disease-free:
1. Practice Prevention: Start with clean soil, make sure to remove any debris and keep the surrounding area free of weeds or other vegetation that can attract pests. Consider adding beneficial insects such as ladybugs or lacewings to your garden to eat pests.
2. Inspect Regularly: Regularly inspect your plants for any signs of pests or diseases. The earlier you catch a problem, the easier it is to treat and prevent further damage to your plants.
3. Use Natural Remedies: Avoid using harsh chemicals on your cannabis plants. Instead, look for natural remedies such as neem oil, garlic spray, or insecticidal soap. These remedies are effective in deterring pests without harming your plants or the environment.
4. Quarantine Infected Plants: If you notice any signs of pests or diseases on one of your plants, immediately quarantine it to prevent the spread to other plants in your garden.
5. Use Crop Rotation: If you’re planning to grow cannabis in the same area year after year, consider rotating your crops. This can help prevent soil-borne diseases.
By following these tips, you can protect your plants from pests and diseases and increase your chances of a successful and bountiful harvest.
6. Prune for Maximum Yield
Pruning is a necessary step to maximize the yield of your outdoor cannabis plants. By removing unnecessary growth, you can focus the plant’s energy on its main colas, resulting in larger buds. Here are some tips for pruning your plants:
- Identify which branches to prune. Look for branches that are not getting enough light or are growing too close to other branches. These are the branches that are not likely to produce large buds and should be removed.
- Start pruning early. Begin pruning during the vegetative stage when the plant is still developing its branches. This allows for the plant to focus its energy on the remaining branches.
- Use clean, sharp tools. Dirty tools increase the risk of infection, and dull tools can damage the plant. Use a sharp, clean pair of scissors or pruning shears to make clean cuts.
- Trim the lower branches. Removing lower branches that are not receiving enough light will redirect energy to the top of the plant. This results in larger buds and a higher yield.
- Focus on the main cola. The main cola is the large, central branch that produces the biggest buds. Remove any branches that are growing too close to the main cola or that are competing for light.
- Be gentle with topping. Topping is a pruning technique that involves removing the top of the plant to encourage the growth of more colas. However, topping can be stressful for the plant, so be careful not to overdo it.
By pruning your outdoor cannabis plants, you can increase the yield and quality of your harvest. Remember to be gentle and precise when pruning, and focus on redirecting the plant’s energy to the main colas.
7. Harvest at the Optimal Time
One of the most critical factors in cultivating large yield outdoor cannabis plants is harvesting at the optimal time. This refers to the point in the plant’s life cycle when the trichomes are at their peak potency and aroma. Here are several tips to help you determine the right time for harvesting your outdoor cannabis plants:
- Observe the Trichomes: The trichomes of the cannabis plant can provide valuable information about its readiness for harvest. When the trichomes are clear, the plant is not ready for harvest. As they start to turn cloudy, it is a sign that the plant is approaching its optimal time for harvest. When the majority of the trichomes have turned amber, it is likely past the ideal harvest time.
- Check the Pistils: The pistils, or tiny hairs on the flowers of the cannabis plant, can also provide clues about its harvest readiness. As the plant matures, the pistils will begin to darken and curl inwards. When about 70-80% of the pistils have changed color, it is a good indication that the plant is ready for harvest.
- Inspect the Buds: Check the buds closely for a frosty appearance, which indicates high trichome concentration, and a plump, but not overly dense, texture. The buds should also have a pungent smell that is characteristic of the strain.
Harvesting too early could mean that the plants have not reached their full potential, resulting in smaller yields and weaker potency. Harvesting too late can lead to a decrease in potency, a loss of flavor, and possible mold growth. It is essential to keep an eye on your plants regularly to determine when they are ready for harvest. By following these tips, you can ensure that your outdoor cannabis plants reach their full potential and produce large yields of high-quality buds.
After exploring the top 10 outdoor cannabis strains that produce large yields, it’s clear that there is a wide variety of options available for growers. From the calming and flavorful Blue Dream to the powerful and pungent Green Crack, there is a strain for every grower’s preferences.
However, it’s important to remember that growing these strains successfully requires some knowledge, care, and attention. Choosing the right location, using quality seeds or clones, providing proper soil and nutrients, monitoring watering and drainage, protecting your plants from pests and diseases, pruning for maximum yield, and harvesting at the optimal time are all essential steps to achieving the desired yield.
Remember that outdoor cannabis growing can be influenced by various factors, such as climate and weather conditions. So, it’s important to adapt and experiment with different techniques to find the best method for your environment.
With the right strategies and a bit of patience, growers can achieve exceptional results and enjoy a bountiful harvest of outdoor cannabis. So, don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty and give it a try!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can outdoor cannabis plants produce higher yields than indoor plants?
Yes, outdoor cannabis plants can potentially produce higher yields thanks to natural light and more space to grow.
2. Are all outdoor cannabis strains suitable for large yields?
No, some strains may require special growing conditions or may simply be genetically predisposed to producing lower yields.
3. What is the best location for growing outdoor cannabis plants?
The best location for outdoor cannabis plants is generally an area with ample sunlight, good soil, and proper drainage.
4. Is it better to use seeds or clones for outdoor cannabis growing?
Both seeds and clones can produce good yields, but clones may have a higher success rate and be more consistent in terms of strain genetics.
5. How important is the quality of soil and nutrients for outdoor cannabis yields?
Soil and nutrients are crucial for healthy plant growth and can significantly impact yields. Quality soil and proper nutrient balance can lead to larger buds and higher potency.
6. How often should outdoor cannabis plants be watered?
Outdoor cannabis plants should be watered when the top inch of soil feels dry to the touch. This may vary depending on the climate and weather conditions in your area.
7. What pests and diseases should outdoor cannabis growers be on the lookout for?
Outdoor cannabis growers should be on the lookout for pests such as caterpillars, aphids, and mites, as well as diseases like powdery mildew and bud rot.
8. Can pruning outdoor cannabis plants increase yields?
Yes, pruning can increase yields by allowing plants to focus their energy on producing larger buds rather than excess leaves or branches.
9. When is the best time to harvest outdoor cannabis plants?
The best time to harvest outdoor cannabis plants is when the majority of the trichomes (the resin glands on the buds) have turned a milky or amber color. This typically occurs in the late summer or early fall.
10. Can the climate in my area impact outdoor cannabis yields?
Yes, climate can have a significant impact on outdoor cannabis yields. Areas with harsh winters or excessive rainfall may not be suitable for growing certain cannabis strains.